[Ilugc] sendmail hostname lookup problem

Anandh G anandhg02 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 1 09:37:05 IST 2006

Hai, I have a RHEL 3 server where in I used sendmail to send some alert mails. It just relay those mails to our mail server. I used SMARTHOST for this, where in I had given the mail servers short hostname and made any entry in the /etc/hosts with its IP. But when ever a mail is sent, sendmail says hostname lookup failure. I haven't given any nameserver IP in /etc/resolve file. i want sendmail to look the /etc/hosts for name resolution for the smarthost hostname.

  When I tried thru command line to ping the mailserver hostname it is pinging. sendmail is not looking /etc/hosts file to resolve the hostname. What should be done.