[Ilugc] regarding graphics controller card

Sivasankar Chander siva.ilugc at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 18:51:27 IST 2006

On 6/3/06, rahul <rahul.theraja at gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to know  few  32-bit  PCI based graphics controller cards that
> are supported by linux-2.4 (that can be available in market).
> I have googled and got some names like  GeForce - Fx5200, Radeon-x800 ,
> TForce-590, Matrox-G550.  But the names doesn't tally totally with the
> names that are given in /include/linux/pci_ids.h
> Only one got tally - MATROX- G550.
>
>     Almost all PCI graphics controller cards default to VGA text mode on
power-on reset, and the Linux kernel supports text-mode consoles without
any difficulty. Almost all will also support VESA framebuffer consoles.
This will allow Linux to boot and display text on almost all PCI graphics
cards - exceptions were some ancient high-end 3dfx Voodoo, SPEA FireGL
and similar cards which were graphics-only, with no text-mode support.

For X, it's important to see what accelerated features of your specific
card are supported by XFree86 or Xorg. For reasonably good desktop
performance, you'll need XAA support. If you want 3D gaming support,
you'll also need DRI & OpenGL support. In general, you should be OK
with most older Matrox, ATI or NVidia-based PCI cards.

-Siva