[Ilugc] How can I start making my own linux distro?

Chandrashekar Babu lug at chandrashekar.info
Sun Jun 4 19:04:02 IST 2006

Hi,

>  Where should I start to make my own linux distro?

>From your existing Linux distro itself! You can either try
dissecting your linux distro, to understand how packages
are being managed and then walk-through the installation
scripts to learn the steps involved in installing your own
distribution.

Once you are confident with how your existing distro
was packaged and installed, determine the goals for your
own distribution (in what way will your distro be different
from the others ?). Then start building packages that
should ideally fit into your distro, and if needed customize
the installer to suit your needs.

Alternately, you can start from here:
    * http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

It would be easier to create your own distro by remastering
existing live CDs. Try looking around for information from the following
sites:
     *  http://www.linux-live.org/
     *  http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto

There are many other sites and many more methods to create your
own distro. Everything depends on your exact requirement/goal.

Cheers!

--
Chandrashekar Babu.,
Freelance Open Source Software Technologist,