[Ilugc] June Month ILUGC Meeting

R.Ramkumar andyetitmoves at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 12:37:16 IST 2006

> At least some debian purists i've met dont exactly like the way ubuntu
> builds and updates their packages .. the guy I met was using Kanotix
> (kind of a knoppix variant - www.kanotix.com)

more details please :) afaik, debian uses ubuntu's packages as the
first step for many of the releases (esp. the big ones, like the
recent Xorg 7 which migrated to testing), and then tweaks and modifies
them further till it's own set of stringent norms are met. i am not
really sure of how things go on internally (may be the Debian X Strike
Force created the packages which were taken up by Ubuntu?), but
shouldn't all this mean that Ubuntu's debs are somewhat close to how
vanilla Debian's debs are built and packaged?

and btw, since every1 is making a stand :D ... i have nothing against
Ubuntu, but i am content with the vanilla. would love to see what
Ubuntu had achieved in Dapper, but i don't think I can make it to the
meeting, being out of station...

it moves on...

--
April 1: This is the day upon which we are reminded of
what we are on the other three hundred and sixty-four.