[Ilugc] June Month ILUGC Meeting

Kumar Appaiah akumar at ee.iitm.ac.in
Tue Jun 6 13:25:19 IST 2006

On 06/06/06, R. Ramkumar <andyetitmoves at gmail.com> wrote:
> hmm.. was drawn into some google search in this regard after i sent
> that mail, and saw this news link. interesting read about
> Debian-Ubuntu:
>
> http://business.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/05/22/1240231&from=rss

Well, I said so, didn't I? Many Debian developers don't like Ubuntu
for various reasons, foremost of which is the way packages are built.

And though I don't have any problems with Ubuntu being number one at
DistroWatch, I don't like their way of rating distros by number of
views of that distro page. For one, I have read somewhere (sorry, I
can't find that at the moment) that Ubuntu fanatics were respnsible
for "making" Ubuntu number one etc.

But, all said and done, the last time I tried Ubuntu, it seemed very
straightforward to me. It cannot be denied that the Ubuntu people have
done a fantastic job! But the whole concept of Debian and Ubuntu are
different, as is pointed out in the above article.

Kumar

--
Kumar Appaiah,
462, Jamuna Hostel,