[Ilugc] Hardware detection process in linux

U M A R amu_314 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 6 22:32:17 IST 2006

hi,
           Any body can tell exactly how linux detects hardware and give information to respective applications.For example we are using

 hotplug
 udev
 hal
 pmount
 gnopme-volume-manager
 discover
 hwdata
 hwsetup

 so which pacakge is exactly used for detectding hardware
 Take a example of USB stick..what minimum pacakages are needed to detect a usb mountit,pop up in nautilus window and show the desktop icon.I need sequential steps

    Regards:
      U M A R