[Ilugc] Re: entry in proc partitions

sudheer urwithsudheer at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 11:49:24 IST 2006

Hi William,

William J Beksi wrote:

>> root at local xilinx_sysace]# fdisk /dev/xsysace
>>
>> Command (m for help): p
>>
>> Disk /dev/xsysace: 32 MB, 32112640 bytes
>> 4 heads, 32 sectors/track, 490 cylinders
>> Units = cylinders of 128 * 512 = 65536 bytes
>>
>>        Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
>> /dev/xsysace1   *         1       489     31280    4  FAT16 <32M
>>
>> Command (m for help):q
>>

>> root at local xilinx_sysace]#
>>
>> As of now i am not able to mount the flash.
>> The flash is formatted to FAT16 in windows with only one partition.
>> Can i mount it in linux.?
>
> Sure you can mount it,
> mount -t msdos /dev/xsysace1 /mnt/fat16
>
> You also need to enable the option to mount fat16 partitions in your
> kernel configuration under "File Sytems" if it has not already been
> enabled.
>
> William

The device name is /dev/xsysace as you could see in the fdisk command
line .
I have tried with both xsysace and xsysace1. The output is as follows:

root at local xilinx_sysace]#mount -t msdos /dev/xsysace1 /mnt/fat16
mount: special device /dev/xsysace1 does not exist
root at local xilinx_sysace]#
root at local xilinx_sysace]#

[root at local xilinx_sysace]# mount -t msdos /dev/xsysace /mnt/fat16
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/xsysace,
       or too many mounted file systems
[root at local xilinx_sysace]#

I could see the msdos and vfat support in "lsmod"
[root at local root]# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: GF
msdos                   8140   0  (autoclean)
vfat                   13132   0  (autoclean)
fat                    38744   0  (autoclean) [msdos vfat]
ace                    19828   0

Pl help me .

Thanks
Sudheer