[Ilugc] Suggest me the scope for shifting from non-technical field to Linux.

Chandrashekar Babu lug at chandrashekar.info
Thu Jun 8 10:46:17 IST 2006

Hi,

>     My friend is a BSc graduate and currently doing MCA in
>  correspondence. He is working as a Team Leader in a BPO. If he has to
>  switch over to Linux as his career, will RHCE certification alone help
>  with out technical background.

No! RHCE is merely a certification that assures that the candidate has skills
and capability to work on "RedHat Linux" distributions. Without technical
background, it might be difficult to pass through RHCE exams.

What should your friend be doing ?
1. Spend enough time (1 to 2 months, 4 hours a day atleast) regularly
   working on Linux platform. Start from the basics, understanding the
   shell, then about the filesystems, commands and utilities, package
   management and so on. A good book/online reference should help
   in order to stay in focus. I strongly suggest the following book:
        RUTE User's Tutorial and Exposition
        [http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz]
   The time your friend needs to spend might vary depending on his
   skills and capability.

2. Start browsing through http://www.tldp.org/, download and read
   howto documents and guides of interest. Try and get comfortable
   on Linux as a power-user.

3. Learn fundamental concepts in networking (covered a bit in the earlier
    book). Learn networking relevant commands on Linux. The Linux
    Network Administrator's Guide should also serve as a good start.

4. Browse through Linux mailing list archives, subscribe to the local Linux
   User's Group (ILUGC for example) and participate on events.

5. Learn system and network administration concepts relevant to RHCE,
   and fine-tune skillsets. If needed, browse through CBTs, RHCE training
   materials and attempt mock exams.

Now, your friend should be ready to face RHCE exams. But the journey
doesn't end there - its only a start. Once, your friend does pass RHCE
exams, he/she will need to constantly update skills to the current trend
and technologies and focus on specific topic of interest like - Database
Administration, Mail administration, Network Management,
Web administration and so on.

What's most important is that your friend needs to be highly competent
on fundamental concepts (the foundation) on Linux and be able to learn
new things quickly.

If your friend aims to be a System Administrator, having multiple
certifications would help more (RHCE+CCNA+MCSE - for example), as most
system administrators are expected to know different platforms these days.

Only if your friend isn't a good self-learner, that he/she needs to look out
for coaching centres/training institutes to get proper guidance. Ask around
from the students of various coaching centres to judge which one's good.

--
Chandrashekar Babu.,
Freelance Open Source Software Technologist,