[Ilugc] Which is the most suitable linux distro for me?

Kumar Appaiah akumar at ee.iitm.ac.in
Sat Jun 10 22:11:47 IST 2006

On 10/06/06, Shankar Ganesh <techgurushankar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> This is a kid who uses linux. I would like to how linux works. I want to
> experiment with linux. I want to develop my own applications for linux.
> I would like to have so many bugs fixed by myself, I would like to develop
> stuffs that work on linux. I don't need any games. But I need a distro that
> supports mp3, and other such music formats, which has drivers to get the
> music OUT through my speakers.

Try out any of the Debian based distros, though I'd recommend Debian
Sarge. It has support for MP3s et al. If you would like to spend a few
minutes searching on how to get MP3 working on other distros, I would
also recommend Fedora Core, as it closely follows RedHat standards.

I am no tech guru, but I can tell you this: DON'T confine yourself to
one distribution. Though you may like one, and prefer it over others,
please do know that there are other options, and people getting work
done in other ways. Get an idea of everything, then choose one
distribution.

(A flame war is sure to ensue... wait. I smell something burning already!)

HTH.

Kumar
--
Kumar Appaiah,