[Ilugc] Which is the most suitable linux distro for me?

T.R.Shashwath trshash84 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 22:58:47 IST 2006

On Saturday 10 June 2006 21:12, Shankar Ganesh wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> This is a kid who uses linux. I would like to how linux works. I want to
> experiment with linux. I want to develop my own applications for linux.
> I would like to have so many bugs fixed by myself, I would like to develop
> stuffs that work on linux. I don't need any games. But I need a distro that
> supports mp3, and other such music formats, which has drivers to get the
> music OUT through my speakers.
>
> Which linux flavour will suit me?

Try one distro for a few months, then go on to another, and so on till you
find one that you're comfortable with. That way, you'll find a good distro,
and you'll have working knowledge of many...

<distro-plug>While you're at it, if you have a fast connection with a liberal
download limit (read, no limit at all ;-) ), why not try Gentoo
(www.gentoo.org)? It's basically a developer's distro, and good for learning
things with. Installing it is a learning experience in itself, and you'll be
able to experiment to your heart's content. I've got virtually everything
(music, graphics card support for NVidia, and so on) without too much
headache. As long as you can stomach long compile times, Gentoo is quite
nice. </distro-plug>

Shash
--
"Where shall  I  begin, please your Majesty ?" he asked.
"Begin at the beginning,", the King said, very gravely,