[Ilugc] Which is the most suitable linux distro for me?

Toufeeq Hussain toufeeqh at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 00:19:50 IST 2006

On 6/10/06, Shankar Ganesh <techgurushankar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> This is a kid who uses linux. I would like to how linux works. I want to
> experiment with linux. I want to develop my own applications for linux.
> I would like to have so many bugs fixed by myself, I would like to develop
> stuffs that work on linux. I don't need any games. But I need a distro that
> supports mp3, and other such music formats, which has drivers to get the
> music OUT through my speakers.

You seem to have a very developer-centric approach to Linux (which is
excellent). I can't advice you on what distribution to start off with,
but irrespective of the distro you start with I guess you'll finally
end up with Debian-unstable
(http://www.debian.org/releases/unstable/). That's where you will find
all the development libraries under the sun.

For now, you can consider Ubuntu 6.06 LTS which is excellent for a newbie.

It's very important that the first distro for a newbie is a popular
one as support in the LUG-community is usually not a problem.

just my 0.02$

-Toufeeq
--
blog @ http://toufeeq.blogspot.com