[Ilugc] GPRS and Linux

Navin Seshadri seshadri.navin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 12:44:26 IST 2006

Hi Gurus,
             Am trying to connect my mobile (Sony Eric k300i) to Linux and
plan to use it as my modem. I compiled the kernel with cp2101 module for USB
Serial communication (my data cable driver). But I guess I require some
assistance in configuring my PPPd.
            Linux identifies the data cable and assigns to ttyUSB0 and using
wvdial I'm able to communicate with the mobile. After dialing the number
PPPd reports (syslog)  that (LAC request expired). Following are my
configurations:

/etc/ppp/peers/gprs:

lcp-echo-failure 0
lcp-echo-interval 0
nodetach
debug
show-password
connect "/usr/local/bin/wvdial --chat --config /etc/ppp/peers/gprs-
wvdial.conf airtel"
disconnect /etc/ppp/peers/gprs-disconnect-chat
/dev/ttyUSB0 # USB serial device
115200
crtscts
local
:192.168.1.3
noipdefault
ipcp-accept-local
defaultroute
usepeerdns
novj
nobsdcomp
novjccomp
nopcomp
noaccomp
noauth
nomagic

/etc/ppp/peers/gprs-wvdial.conf

[Dialer  airtel]
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Baud = 115200
Init1 = ATH
Init2 = ATE1
Init3 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","airtelgprs.com","0.0.0.0",0,0
Dial Command = ATD
Phone = *99***1\#
Stupid Mode = yes

My ISP is Airtel. Has anybody faced such problem? Have I missed out
something?
 I works well in Windows then why not Linux where am I going wrong?

Regards
Navin