[Ilugc] [OT] Lisp talk in Bangalore on July 16th, 2006

Roshan Mathews rmathews at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 05:55:47 IST 2006

There is a talk on Lisp which will take place in Bangalore on 16th of
July.  The possible topics are listed at the bottom of this mail.  The
speaker will be Rainer Joswig (of the LispM and dsl-in-lisp videos
fame).  Here is the entry on his blog talking about it:
http://lispm.dyndns.org/news?ID=NEWS-2006-06-09-1

Please do come if you are interested.  Further details will be posted
on "bangalore-lisp" (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bangalore-lisp/)

In case you want to brush up your Lisp skills, here are some good links:
http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/
http://www.cse.buffalo.edu/~shapiro/Commonlisp/
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/LispBook/

On 6/7/06, Rainer <joswig at lisp.de> wrote:
> I haven't yet thought very hard about an agenda, but here is some list I would
> have in mind:
>
> ----------
>
> * Lisp
> Common Lisp's place in the history of Lisp languages.
> The philosophies of Lisp software development (interactive, incremental, evolving,
> abstract, performance, ...).
> Why Common Lisp and for what? What was it developed for?
> Why is Common Lisp ugly? Is it? Does it matter?
> Why is the standard old? Can I open up a network socket in Lisp?
>
> * Development environments
> Short look at Common Lisp implementations.
> LispWorks as an example for a full-featured development environment.
> Why are there so many different implementations and which one should I use?
>
> * LispWorks section
> Using the IDE.
> What are all the tools?
> A session with the IDE.
> A develoment cycle with the LispWorks IDE.
>
> * Learning advanced Common Lisp
> Introduction to PAIP's examples.
> Performance tuning.
> Tool building.
>
> * History section
> Symbolics Lisp Machine development environment explained.
> Maybe a demo of Open Genera.
> Development cycle in Genera.
> A look at the source code of Genera: from device drivers to object-oriented databases.
> Is it still atleast a bit relevant?
>
> * GUI development with Lisp
> A look at the alternatives (Common Windows, CAPI, ...).
> What is McCLIM? Why is it interesting? What are it's goals? Why is it different?
> McCLIM is an ongoing project, where is help needed to improve it?
> A demo of CLIM.
>
> * Application section
> CL-HTTP: A full-featured Web suite.
> History: President Clinton's White House Publication Server and other applications.
> Programming techniques used to develop CL-HTTP. Look at the sources.
> Development skills needed to hack on CL-HTTP. Examples
> Example session.
> Advanced abstraction in CL-HTTP. Using the Web walker W4..
>
> * What's next? How to proceed from here?
> The Lisp community. Is there one? Many?
> Lisp in India? Does it matter? Why should I learn it?
> How can I learn more Lisp?
>
> -----
>
> I think if there are some special topics and people from India could also give a demo/
> explanation, we should definitely add it to the list. Then I won't be the only one
> presenting. We should make the list such that it fits into the time we have set for the
> meeting.
>
> I would also prefer to have it as a very informal meeting with lots of questions and
> (hopefully) answers.
>
> What is expected from the audience?
> You would be willing to stare at Lisp code. Lots. And I mean lots.
> You would be willing to see lots of examples and ask questions.
> Basic understanding of Common Lisp is expected. If you would want
> [...]

PS: Please drop me a note if you are planning on going from Chennai. :-)

--
Roshan Mathews