[Ilugc] Re: SOFTWARE FREEDOM DAY 2006- SEPT 16

Parthan parth.technofreak at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 21:19:02 IST 2006

Creative Wolf wrote:
> On 6/16/06, Aanjhan R <aanjhan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> On 6/16/06, Parthan <parth.technofreak at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > 3. Think CDs are no longer a big issues, most people having unlimited
>> > braodband these days and a wide network for luggies offering help in
>> > CD-for-grab, don't think we need to ship ubuntu CDs.
>>

>> This is not the case everywhere. Distributing CDs to the LUG members
>> is not
>> the point. Distributing CDs to those who have not tried FLOSS /
>> Distribute
>> CDs to those who are not aware in the first place about the power of
>> FLOSS.
>> Its a matter of doing "Stuff" on the Freedom Day.  Unlimited BroadBand
>> (most
>> people??) ! I strongly disagree. Not even 1% of INDIAs poplulation would
>> have unlimited broadband. [Guess most still use DialUp in Villages]
>>

>> Regards,
>> --
>> Aanjhan
>
> I seem to second that thought, there are folks even in the city
> withour broadband.

We have indeed given a lot of Free CDs in the past, how far had it
served the purpose. Am not meaning giving CDs within the LUG. Just
giving out free CDs will serve no purpose. We can follow the same idea
of burning out CDs during the LDDs for the really interestedt guys, who
have/can get empty CDS.

We should use this opportunity to attract more school crowd, especially
in the 9,10,11 and 12th standard category. We should chart out a plan
such that rather than just showing things at numerous stalls, we reach
more deeper into the crowd's minds... We can also try something like
what we did in thiruvannamalai, where we trained some newbies to handle
things, so that they learn the right way..

With Regards,

Parthan