[Ilugc] How to add a new protocol type in socket!!

shree.kant at wipro.com shree.kant at wipro.com
Sat Jun 17 11:15:41 IST 2006

Hi All,

Can somebody explain me how to add a new protocol type in socket?

            The requirement is I need to have a heart beat running
between two cards. Since the Heart beat is exchanged at very high
speed(typically at a speed of 20 Hz).

            And I need to process the heartbeat also, So I cann't
process each and every packet received at the socket since it will cause
a over head in my application. So What I thought that I will have a
proprietary protocol type in socket in that case I can just process the
packet received at my end assuming it to be a heart beat packet.

The socket command will look like this...

sock = socket(PF_PACKET, SOCK_RAW,NEW_PROTOCOL_TYPE);

I googled it also, but I was not able to find any examples regarding it.

Host : Redhat 9.0

Platform: montavista linux 2.4

Thanks in advance

Thanks and Regards

Shree Kant

Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off your goal

www.wipro.com