[Ilugc] Regarding FOSS

Chakkaradeep C C chaks.yoper at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 01:48:30 IST 2006

Hi all,

On 6/18/06, Vamsee Kanakala <vamlists at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Suppose i say, i have an application which is Licensed GPL, but you
> > need to
> > pay Rs.x to get the source as well as binary, will this be considered
> > under
> > FOSS or simply Open Source Software?
> It will be considered a GPL violation. As GPL says, if you use GPLed
> software, or make modifications to it and re-distribute it, you should
> make the source, with the modifications, available for free. That
> doesn't mean you have to copy it onto a CD and pass it on to whoever
> requests, but at least it should be available for download (if you're
> not doing the latter, the former might apply). You really need to read
> up a lot on licensing on the net.

Taken from http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt

When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not
price.  Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you
have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for
this service if you wish), that you receive source code or can get it
if you want it, that you can change the software or use pieces of it
in new free programs; and that you know you can do these things.

  To protect your rights, we need to make restrictions that forbid
anyone to deny you these rights or to ask you to surrender the rights.
These restrictions translate to certain responsibilities for you if you
distribute copies of the software, or if you modify it.

  For example, if you distribute copies of such a program, whether
gratis or for a fee, you must give the recipients all the rights that
you have.  You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the
source code.  And you must show them these terms so they know their
rights.

  We protect your rights with two steps: (1) copyright the software, and
(2) offer you this license which gives you legal permission to copy,
distribute and/or modify the software.

How come it can be called GPL violation?

> > And how many of us will use Linux/OSS if they are charged minimal ?
> > and will
> > this be OFF TOPIC here?
> Personally, if it's really worth my while, I would pay for the software,
> whether it's free/open/closed. But at least I would expect to pull out
> *my* data without hassle. That's why Mark Pilgrim 'switched' from Mac to
> Ubuntu recently:
>
> http://diveintomark.org/archives/2006/06/02/when-the-bough-breaks
>
> In other words, it's a personal decision, for some people it's
> philosophical. I found out that I no longer care about the philosophical
> stuff the moment I laid my eyes on a MacBook Pro. The damn thing is too
> sexy, and I would give an arm and a leg to get it. You might not, of
> course.
>

> > Till today, many see Linux as Free as in "Free beer" :)
> >

> That would immediately change if they found out what they have to pay
> for a *good* Linux Sysadmin ;-). There shouldn't be any complaints
> there, as at the end of the day, even if you pay through your nose for a
> Linux sysadmin, you'll save more money on operations and license fees.
>

> Vamsee.

C.C.Chakkaradeep,
Novatium Solutions Limited,Chennai.
http://www.novatium.com
http://www.yoper.com

--
"Sometimes it's better not to ask - or to listen - when people tell you
something can't be done. I didnt ask for permission or approval. I just went