[Ilugc] Mac and GNU/Linux

Gopalarathnam Venkatesan gopal at gopalarathnam.com
Sun Jun 18 10:45:17 IST 2006

Vamsee Kanakala wrote:
> Personally, if it's really worth my while, I would pay for the software,
> whether it's free/open/closed. But at least I would expect to pull out
> *my* data without hassle. That's why Mark Pilgrim 'switched' from Mac to
> Ubuntu recently:
>
> http://diveintomark.org/archives/2006/06/02/when-the-bough-breaks
>
> In other words, it's a personal decision, for some people it's
> philosophical. I found out that I no longer care about the philosophical
> stuff the moment I laid my eyes on a MacBook Pro. The damn thing is too
> sexy, and I would give an arm and a leg to get it. You might not, of
> course.

I've been using a Mac for quite sometime (more than a year now), but I
almost never boot to Mac OS X (I have it in place only for my wife - she
uses it).

I bought a Mac because I wanted to try out non Intel platforms (no AMD,
its just a clone) since not too many of the free software projects have
been tested on these grounds.

The hardware is just amazing, but the parts, and everything are just too
pricey.

I've always been happily using Gentoo (previously I tried Open SuSE for
a few months and Debian Woody refused to boot even, had bad experiences
with Sarge).  I too, like Mark Pilgrim, fear the closed formats of
iPhoto, iTunes, even though they are XML.  Only those applications can
open their files, what the heck!

Not to mention virtual desktop support, any day Mac OS X is kind of,
looks out dated for me ;-)

--
Gopalarathnam Venkatesan

http://gopalarathnam.com/