[Ilugc] Mac and GNU/Linux

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at thenilgiris.com
Sun Jun 18 11:25:01 IST 2006

On 18-Jun-06, at 10:45 AM, Gopalarathnam Venkatesan wrote:

> Vamsee Kanakala wrote:
>> Personally, if it's really worth my while, I would pay for the
>> software, whether it's free/open/closed. But at least I would
>> expect to pull out *my* data without hassle. That's why Mark
>> Pilgrim 'switched' from Mac to Ubuntu recently:
>> http://diveintomark.org/archives/2006/06/02/when-the-bough-breaks
>> In other words, it's a personal decision, for some people it's
>> philosophical. I found out that I no longer care about the
>> philosophical stuff the moment I laid my eyes on a MacBook Pro.
>> The damn thing is too sexy, and I would give an arm and a leg to
>> get it. You might not, of course.
>
> I've been using a Mac for quite sometime (more than a year now),
> but I almost never boot to Mac OS X (I have it in place only for my
> wife - she uses it).

i use an ibook for a laptop - convenient because it is compatible
with everything. And the darwin shell is the same as any other bsd -
i have used darwin ports to install the usual apache, postgresql,
python, etc etc - so i have my cake and eat it too.  But desktop,
linux is still my choice as you configure peripherals only once

--

regards
kg