[Ilugc] Probably [OT] - still people going to fight against Bill Gates?

Toufeeq Hussain toufeeqh at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 18:08:26 IST 2006

On 6/19/06, Gopalarathnam Venkatesan <gopal at gopalarathnam.com> wrote:
> On 06/19/06 16:44, Toufeeq Hussain wrote:
> > 2. Browser compatibility is no longer an issue with AJAX. Usability is
> > a BIG ISSUE.
>
> What usability problem are you having by using a web site that uses AJAX?

The usability problems usually creeps in due to bad design. But I see
that all AJAX web apps suffer from some common problems. Some of them
are:

1. I can't bookmark a AJAX-y page
2. I can't share URL's of AJAX-y pages with friends.
3. Content can't be accessed by external-programs (unless through an API).
4. For an app like G-Mail I can't use a URL like
http://gmail.com/inbox/msg0001.html (after logging in , mind you).
5. AJAX Web-apps are not accessible by the disabled.

> If you're saying about the browser's back button, many of these web
> sites (including GMail) have handled the problem already.

Bah! the "back button problem" is just ONE!
GMail handles it well, but most of the apps I see today don't seem to
handle it at all.

-Toufeeq
--
blog @ http://toufeeq.blogspot.com