[Ilugc] Probably [OT] - still people going to fight against Bill Gates?

Gopalarathnam Venkatesan gopal at gopalarathnam.com
Mon Jun 19 18:23:52 IST 2006

On 06/19/06 18:08, Toufeeq Hussain wrote:

That brings us to a good point.

This is the mistake of the programmer rather than AJAX.  W3C never says
against AJAX-fying your application.

> The usability problems usually creeps in due to bad design. But I see
> that all AJAX web apps suffer from some common problems. Some of them
> are:
>
> 1. I can't bookmark a AJAX-y page

The problem with some web pages are that the entire page will work only
with AJAX, and this can be solved by having a fall-back which quite a
few of them do.

Like for example, consider "<a href="something"
onclick="DoSomething()">...".  Here, if your web browser doesn't support
JavaScript, you'll still be taken to "something", and hence without AJAX
it would still work.  Also, you can always right-click and bookmark the
link.

> 2. I can't share URL's of AJAX-y pages with friends.
 > 3. Content can't be accessed by external-programs (unless through an
API).

Making the entire page accessible only through JavaScript is simply bad
design and never the problem/intention of AJAX.

In both the above cases, you can't say the problem with GMail, since you
never share your e-mail link, nor bookmark it.

> 4. For an app like G-Mail I can't use a URL like
> http://gmail.com/inbox/msg0001.html (after logging in , mind you).

I don't see this as a valid use case.

> 5. AJAX Web-apps are not accessible by the disabled.

The problem goes away if the developer has adhered to W3C Accessibility
Guidelines, not the problem with AJAX.

Summarising, the use of AJAX should be used as when necessary and not
throughout the page.  For example I can say a few, "rating a message" in
Yahoo! Message Boards, Changing the photo title/description in Flickr, etc.

--
Gopalarathnam Venkatesan

http://gopalarathnam.com/