[Ilugc] Probably [OT] - still people going to fight against Bill Gates?

Toufeeq Hussain toufeeqh at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 18:27:09 IST 2006

Hi,

On 6/19/06, Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at thenilgiris.com> wrote:

> On 19-Jun-06, at 5:56 PM, Toufeeq Hussain wrote:
>

> > http://www.google.com/search?q=define:Web+2.0
> > and,
> > http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/tim/news/2005/09/30/what-is-
> > web-20.html
>
> strangely enough, i also know how to use google, i just asked for an
> explanation of what web2.0 is from one who has understood it - i am
> frank in stating that i have been unable to understand what it is -
> or even believe there is such an thing as distinct from web1.0.

Fair enough. :-)

Let's put aside jargon for a minute. I'll use the words "old-WWW" and
"new-WWW" instead.

Imagine the old-WWW as a place where you went to for getting
information. This information was available to you through a
content-provided, the content-provider gave you the information and
you had to take it or move to a different one. It was one-way traffic.
Example: Slashdot

The new-WWW is different in that there is no one autocratic
content-provider. Instead what you have now is a form of two-way data
channel wherein you access content from a contet-provider but at the
same time you can also push content to the content-provider. The lines
between content-provider and content-consumer is diminished. Example:
Digg

Ofcourse, what qualifies as Web 2.0 is purely upto the data-consumer.
For me it's the data providers/consumers, for other's it's the
new-look-AJAX web-apps.

- Toufeeq
--
blog @ http://toufeeq.blogspot.com