[Ilugc] Please guide

Gopalarathnam Venkatesan gopal at gopalarathnam.com
Tue Jun 20 14:15:50 IST 2006

On 06/20/06 14:05, Binand Sethumadhavan wrote:

> That can be said about Sed/Awk too; so my question really was why
> would anyone recommend Sed/Awk over Perl for the specific purpose of
> parsing through some output and producing a report - what specific
> features of Sed/Awk would make those a better tool than Perl for this
> purpose.

You're not getting the point.  If I already know sed/awk (like I do,
I've been using it for all of my needs till now), why should I bother
learning Perl?  For the tasks that extends beyond the scope of sed &
awk, I use PHP (again I've been writing PHP for years).

I'm just making a point that there are still people out there like me,
that are still using/enjoying writing small scripts using sed, awk,
grep, etc.  We don't need the help of Perl.  BTW, thanks ;-)

--
Gopalarathnam Venkatesan

http://gopalarathnam.com/