[Ilugc] Please guide

Chakkaradeep C C chaks.yoper at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 14:26:11 IST 2006

Hi,

On 6/20/06, Binand Sethumadhavan <binand at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20/06/06, Gopalarathnam Venkatesan <gopal at gopalarathnam.com> wrote:
> > Not everybody knows Perl, and every tool has its own following.
> > Its like asking why do you want to learn Python when you can do the same
> > thing in Perl or PHP or <whatever you already know>.
>
> That can be said about Sed/Awk too; so my question really was why
> would anyone recommend Sed/Awk over Perl for the specific purpose of
> parsing through some output and producing a report - what specific
> features of Sed/Awk would make those a better tool than Perl for this
> purpose.

Have you used sed/awk extensively? If so, you wouldnt ask this question of
what would make sed/awk so powerful!. Better buy a book on sed/awk (Orielly
publication) and just go thru them as you would have done for Perl, in
detail.

If you want to edit and change a particular line in a file, i would change
it in one command using sed and if that was to changed according to user
input, i would parse the user input with awk and then pass on to sed
statement and overall again its only one command.

These are the native tools.Am not saying they are the best, they are one
such options where sysadmin should know about it rather than telling,"Perl
does the job, why should i do it with awk/sed".

Binand

C.C.Chakkaradeep,
Novatium Solutions Limited,Chennai.
http://www.novatium.com
http://www.yoper.com
http://wiki.freespire.org/index.php/Freespire_Community_Board_Home

--
"Sometimes it's better not to ask - or to listen - when people tell you
something can't be done. I didnt ask for permission or approval. I just went