[Ilugc] Please guide

Binand Sethumadhavan binand at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 11:01:33 IST 2006

On 20/06/06, Gopalarathnam Venkatesan <gopal at gopalarathnam.com> wrote:
> You're not getting the point.  If I already know sed/awk (like I do,
> I've been using it for all of my needs till now), why should I bother
> learning Perl?  For the tasks that extends beyond the scope of sed &
> awk, I use PHP (again I've been writing PHP for years).
>
> I'm just making a point that there are still people out there like me,
> that are still using/enjoying writing small scripts using sed, awk,
> grep, etc.  We don't need the help of Perl.  BTW, thanks ;-)

You are not getting my point either - in several cases, sed -e
/whatever/ can be drop-in replaced with perl -p -e /whatever/ (with $N
replacing \N); ditto for awk. There isn't much extra learning needed
to replace sed/awk with perl.

In any case, you are talking about your specific skillset. My
question, to repeat, was why would it make sense to recommend Awk/Sed
over Perl to anybody else, what features of these would make such a
recommendation spot-on.

Binand