[Ilugc] Please guide

Binand Sethumadhavan binand at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 11:14:35 IST 2006

On 20/06/06, Chakkaradeep C C <chaks.yoper at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Have you used sed/awk extensively? If so, you wouldnt ask this question of
> what would make sed/awk so powerful!. Better buy a book on sed/awk (Orielly
> publication) and just go thru them as you would have done for Perl, in
> detail.

Oh yes, in my > 15 years of Unix experience (only the latter half of
it is Linux, earlier it has been stuff ranging from OSF/1 to Solaris)
I have used Sed/Awk extensively - more code than I care to think
about. I too went through this Perl-denial phase in my life. But once
I started writing code in Perl, its advantage has been evident to me -
it could replace all of find, sed, awk, grep, cut, sort etc. and I
could write silly little scripts faster than in shell.

>  If you want to edit and change a particular line in a file, i would change
> it in one command using sed and if that was to changed according to user
> input, i would parse the user input with awk and then pass on to sed
> statement and overall again its only one command.

In place editing has been a feature of Perl for a long time now. Sed
got it recently, but

>  These are the native tools.Am not saying they are the best, they are one
> such options where sysadmin should know about it rather than telling,"Perl
> does the job, why should i do it with awk/sed".

This is what I'm questioning. Just because Sed/Awk exists, why should
a system administrator be forced to use them? Newer tools will come,
obsoleting older ones; resisting them will not stop them from gaining
acceptance, and will only make one fall behind in keeping up with
technological advances.

Binand

Binand