[Ilugc] Please guide

Gopalarathnam Venkatesan gopal at gopalarathnam.com
Tue Jun 20 14:49:43 IST 2006

On 06/20/06 14:44, Binand Sethumadhavan wrote:

> Oh yes, in my > 15 years of Unix experience (only the latter half of
> it is Linux, earlier it has been stuff ranging from OSF/1 to Solaris)
> I have used Sed/Awk extensively - more code than I care to think
> about. I too went through this Perl-denial phase in my life. But once
> I started writing code in Perl, its advantage has been evident to me -
> it could replace all of find, sed, awk, grep, cut, sort etc. and I
> could write silly little scripts faster than in shell.

In my years of experience in Unix, I've remained away from Perl, I
almost never needed it.

I believe you're like those folks that think Perl is panacea.

> This is what I'm questioning. Just because Sed/Awk exists, why should
> a system administrator be forced to use them? Newer tools will come,
> obsoleting older ones; resisting them will not stop them from gaining
> acceptance, and will only make one fall behind in keeping up with
> technological advances.

This is like saying, C++ obsoletes C.  If you don't want to write sed or
awk well, don't.  But you can't stop somebody from recommending people
to read sed & awk.

--
Gopalarathnam Venkatesan

http://gopalarathnam.com/