[Ilugc] SOFTWARE FREEDOM DAY 2006- SEPT 16

Toufeeq Hussain toufeeqh at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 09:48:24 IST 2006

HI,

On 6/20/06, Chakkaradeep C C <chaks.yoper at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 6/20/06, Rajagopal Natarajan <rajagopal.n at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > How about conducting some quizzes and competitions for students and
> > giving out some prizes for the winners. This would encourage the
> > students and bring in more ppl. As Mr. Thiagurajan said that ELCOT is
> > ready to give some support, I guess, he could try to get some
> > financial support for organizing these events.
>

> Conducting competitions,quizzes, these are not going to change the
> scenario.Maybe it can bring out interest in a student, thats the only thing
> it can do. We need get down into Business. We need to advertise
> Tux/Linux/GTk+/Qt/Ubuntu/Linspire/RedHat , whatever, so that the colleges
> and universities understand that LUG is an Organisation and seek help from
> us.If you conduct events, it would not put us in track.

NO. UNfortunately ILUGC is *NOT* an Organization in the legal sense.

Can we do anything about it ? I don't know.
Can we apply for something like a NGO status ? I don't know

Problem is pushing things through the LUG till now has been at the
personal level (people like Shakti and Raman). The only time the LUG
as a body gets together is during the LDD-time.

If we are going to make an effort at hitting business establishments
with FOSS "propaganda" then you will require organizational status, an
official body. Problem is whith the establishment of such a body
working closely with the LUG can have dangers.

> Events should be conducted in such a way where a distro is taken in hand,
> and as i wrote in my previous mails, the distro should contain all
> supportive formats, including Mp3 support and should not report that it is
> Restricted and M$ pays for it whereas this distro doesnt pay.People out
> there wont understand these, they will just ask you, whether these support
> are there or not.Linspire/Xandros/SuSe(i suppose) provide these supports,
> but i have seen Linspire provide more options to propeiratory licenses like
> Mp3 License,DVD License,CrossOver Office etc.. These Events should be
> conducted in a grand way to attract people as how M$ conducts its talks in
> chennai.I think these are Business tactics and essential stuffs..

This is something which we should address during the demo's at the LDD's.
Instead of each volunteer displaying his "uber" distro, there should
really be one common distro so that newcomers seeing Linux for the
first time feel at ease.

> Or may be ELCOT may sponsor for some event like a linux software
> > development competition which would go on for a month or so before the
> > event and the prizes would be awarded for the best software. This
> > would enable more ppl to participate and would be productive as well.
>

> Even i thought of the same idea of seeking help from ELCOT . IBM/HP are
> investing a lot in Open Source, but will they sponsor us for these kinda
> events?. I think they can, as they sponsor for LinuxAsia.

Again, you will need some kind of official status to approach HP/IBM.
Nobody will be willing to make out a cheque to "CSD-320 ESB Block, III
floor, IIT-M,Adyar". :-(

If ILUGC is not willing to turn into a "body" can this be done under
the aegis of Linux-India ? I don't know. L-I (atleast today) looks
like a shadow of the organization that it was supposed to be.

-Toufeeq
--
blog @ http://toufeeq.blogspot.com