[Ilugc] Restricting Access

T.R.Shashwath trshash84 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 12:14:07 IST 2006

On Wednesday 21 June 2006 11:26, Pranavam S wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have SUSE 10.1 in my notebook, which is used by my friends and also
> some of my relatives.
>
> I have basicaly two doubts:
>
> 1. There are some applications which are common to all users like
> XMMS, Amarok, etc.  I have separate users for every persons who access
> my system, but i want to know how could i restrict those applications
> from selected users. say i have three users
>
> usera, userb, userc
>
> i need to revoke the rights to access those applications from userb
> and userc whereas usera must have the rights.

Add usera to a group, change the ownership of those programs to that group and
give execute permissions for that program only to user and group.

Example:
(as root)
# groupadd groupa
# gpasswd -a usera groupa
# chown root:groupa /usr/bin/foo # Where foo is the program you want to
restrict
# chmod 754 /usr/bin/foo

7 = read, write and execute (for root), 5 = read, execute (for group members),
4 = read only (for non-group members)

SuSE may have a graphical tool for one or more of the above operations, though
I do not know about that.

Shash
--
"Where shall  I  begin, please your Majesty ?" he asked.
"Begin at the beginning,", the King said, very gravely,