[Ilugc] SOFTWARE FREEDOM DAY 2006- SEPT 16

Chakkaradeep C C chaks.yoper at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 12:09:02 IST 2006

Hi all,

On 6/21/06, Toufeeq Hussain <toufeeqh at gmail.com> wrote:

> HI,
>
> On 6/20/06, Chakkaradeep C C <chaks.yoper at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 6/20/06, Rajagopal Natarajan <rajagopal.n at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > How about conducting some quizzes and competitions for students and
> > > giving out some prizes for the winners. This would encourage the
> > > students and bring in more ppl. As Mr. Thiagurajan said that ELCOT is
> > > ready to give some support, I guess, he could try to get some
> > > financial support for organizing these events.
> >

> > Conducting competitions,quizzes, these are not going to change the
> > scenario.Maybe it can bring out interest in a student, thats the only
> thing
> > it can do. We need get down into Business. We need to advertise
> > Tux/Linux/GTk+/Qt/Ubuntu/Linspire/RedHat , whatever, so that the
> colleges
> > and universities understand that LUG is an Organisation and seek help
> from
> > us.If you conduct events, it would not put us in track.
>
> NO. UNfortunately ILUGC is *NOT* an Organization in the legal sense.
>
> Can we do anything about it ? I don't know.

If we can seek ELCOT or any other organisation's help, can anything be done?

Can we apply for something like a NGO status ? I don't know

> Problem is pushing things through the LUG till now has been at the
> personal level (people like Shakti and Raman). The only time the LUG
> as a body gets together is during the LDD-time.

As i said earlier, we have to be an Organisation when we approach people.

If we are going to make an effort at hitting business establishments
> with FOSS "propaganda" then you will require organizational status, an
> official body. Problem is whith the establishment of such a body
> working closely with the LUG can have dangers.
>
> > Events should be conducted in such a way where a distro is taken in
> hand,
> > and as i wrote in my previous mails, the distro should contain all
> > supportive formats, including Mp3 support and should not report that it
> is
> > Restricted and M$ pays for it whereas this distro doesnt pay.People out
> > there wont understand these, they will just ask you, whether these
> support
> > are there or not.Linspire/Xandros/SuSe(i suppose) provide these
> supports,
> > but i have seen Linspire provide more options to propeiratory licenses
> like
> > Mp3 License,DVD License,CrossOver Office etc.. These Events should be
> > conducted in a grand way to attract people as how M$ conducts its talks
> in
> > chennai.I think these are Business tactics and essential stuffs..
>
> This is something which we should address during the demo's at the LDD's.
> Instead of each volunteer displaying his "uber" distro, there should
> really be one common distro so that newcomers seeing Linux for the
> first time feel at ease.

Yes, there should be one common distro with all options into it as i
addressed in my previous mails eventhough each has his own "uber" distro.

> Or may be ELCOT may sponsor for some event like a linux software
> > > development competition which would go on for a month or so before the
> > > event and the prizes would be awarded for the best software. This
> > > would enable more ppl to participate and would be productive as well.
> >

> > Even i thought of the same idea of seeking help from ELCOT . IBM/HP are
> > investing a lot in Open Source, but will they sponsor us for these kinda
> > events?. I think they can, as they sponsor for LinuxAsia.
>
> Again, you will need some kind of official status to approach HP/IBM.
> Nobody will be willing to make out a cheque to "CSD-320 ESB Block, III
> floor, IIT-M,Adyar". :-(
>
> If ILUGC is not willing to turn into a "body" can this be done under
> the aegis of Linux-India ? I don't know. L-I (atleast today) looks
> like a shadow of the organization that it was supposed to be.
>
> -Toufeeq
> --
> blog @ http://toufeeq.blogspot.com

C.C.Chakkaradeep,
Novatium Solutions Limited,Chennai.
http://www.novatium.com
http://www.yoper.com
http://wiki.freespire.org/index.php/Freespire_Community_Board_Home

--
"Sometimes it's better not to ask - or to listen - when people tell you
something can't be done. I didnt ask for permission or approval. I just went