[Ilugc] changing shell and finding it

codeshepherd codeshepherd at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 18:15:10 IST 2006

Ashok Antony wrote:
> Hi all
>
> whener  I login into my unix box, it used to place me in cshell ( which is my login shell ).
>
> from the login shell If I change it to bash
>
> then If I execute a the following echo $SHELL
>
> still then it shows
>
> /bin/csh
>
> how to check my current shell where I am working

I guess there is no direct command to find that. You may do "echo
$SHELL" .. but that is not reliable.. but a quick hack will be to run
some bash specific command.. say export .. if the shell throws a error..
then u are not in bash..
run "setenv" .. if you get a error then you are not in csh..

May be someone else has a better solution..
good luck Ashok
Deepan
www.codeshepherd.com