[Ilugc] Re: Special Meet: ELCOT FOSS Proposal

Bharathi Subramanian sbharathi at midascomm.com
Fri Jun 23 09:55:40 IST 2006

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006, Bharathi Subramanian wrote:

> I hope, most of you seen the fwd mail of Mr Uma Shankar IAS, MD
> ELCOT. I feel, It is the good opportunity to help Gov to use/support
> FOSS. If our members are interested to help in this mission, We can
> meet to share our views about this.

Shell we meet in *Gandhi Mandapam* at Sat Jun 24 15:30. This
place is just opposite to Anna Univ Campus, Guindy.

===== Original Message from Mr UmaShankar IAS ======

Sub: Call for OSS partnership and support // LUGs may join ELCOT's
     efforts (Date: Sat, June 10, 2006 9:16PM)

TamilNadu is one of the pioneers in the use of OSS. Already 6500
computers have reached the village panchayats in linux environment
under Panchayat computerisation programme.  It is heartening to note
that almost all the young IAS officers want only OSS be promoted in
their respective offices/jurisdiction. This calls for a quick and
efficient role from ELCOT to support the current initiatives of Govt
of TN in the area of OSS.

ELCOT looks for partners and volunteers who can join ELCOT's efforts
to promote OSS in  Government functioning.  Already certain companies
have expressed willingness to join.

ELCOT is shortly setting up an open source support centre in its
corporate office to support government organisations adopting OSS. The
support would be for OS (OpenSUSE & FC5), DB (PostgreSQL) and
OpenOffice.org suite.  ELCOT needs large number of OSS volunteers to
make this initiative a public owned effort. ELCOT runs a call centre.
This would be upgraded to include support for OSS queries. A website
needs to be built to support the volunteers who wish to join the
effort. ELCOT is shortly finalising a vendor for the web portal
development for this.

LUGs from Chennai and other areas are requested to join the nitiative.

Mankind deserves open standards and open source software. Only the
chosen ones get its taste. Others just hear the taste.

--
Bharathi S