[Ilugc] changing shell and finding it

R.Ramkumar andyetitmoves at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 11:57:55 IST 2006

> "$$" is pid of the parent process, if you say "echo $$" from the shell
> prompt after logging in, it is the process id of the parent shell.

from the POSIX (IEEE 1003.1) specification:
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/xcu_chap02.html#tag_02_05_02

2.5.2 Special Parameters

$
    Expands to the decimal process ID of the invoked shell. In a
subshell (see Shell Execution Environment ), '$' shall expand to the
same value as that of the current shell.

--
April 1: This is the day upon which we are reminded of
what we are on the other three hundred and sixty-four.