[Ilugc] using tamil with ubuntu 6.06

Shakthi Kannan cyborg4k at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 28 10:35:50 IST 2006

Hi Sithi,

--- Sithi <dhana_1 at eth.net> wrote:
> I would like to use Uubuntu for typing Tamil
> documents and sending emails in
> tamil.

Sure. I do that with Ubuntu.

> installations to be followed to achieve my task of
> typing Tamil documents
> and send tamil emails.

Use synaptic package manager to install
ttf-indic-fonts.

Or simply go to System -> Administration -> Language
support and select the languages you want. All
dependancy packages and support will be installed for
you.

>From Gnome panel, display "Keyboard indicator". Right
click it -> Open Keyboard Preferences and add Tamil
layouts that you want.

I have CAPS key set in preferences to toggle input
keyboard indicator.

> of installing tamil transliteration programs in
> ubuntu.

Never used transliteration.

> Also, suggest me, how to display the tamil keyboard
> layout in ubuntu.

My documentation:

http://shakthimaan.com/ta/computer/computer.html

HTH,