[Ilugc] ubuntu additional packages
mehul.forums at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 23:13:23 IST 2007
On 6/24/07, Anoop John <anoopjohn at gmail.com> wrote:
> wondering if I could have something like the nullsoft installer for
> windows do the trick. Get all additional packages and package using an
> installer with the required scripts to install and then send it via a
> cd which the user can use for a 1 click install. I found
> autopackage.org - something similar to nullsoft after some googling. I
> wanted to confirm if this was the best and most scalable approach that
> I am taking. Have any of you done this kind of stuff?
One way I can think of is -
1) Do a clean install of ubuntu
2) Download all the required packages using apt
3) So, all the downloaded packages will be left in
/var/cache/apt/archive folder, I believe.
4) You can install apt-on-cd, it will create an ISO file of
the downloaded packages.
5) Now you can burn this to a CD/DVD and give it to those
who need it. All the dependencies will be fulfilled, too.
6) When the customer puts the CD/DVD in the drive,
Ubuntu will automatically ask to add that CD/DVD to the
NOTE :- This is known to work with Feisty. Haven't tried it
on other versions. But, I don't see any reason not to, unless
apt-on-cd doesn't work on those versions.
More information about the ilugc