[Ilugc] Django, TG or Rails

Venkatraman S venkat83 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 11:33:34 IST 2008

Well, yes - am really confused! And have no intentions of starting a flame
war - any personal experiences or useful links would be of immense help.

This is my first foray into web-development using Open Source frameworks and
tools and am just not able to decide on the course of action that i need to
take. I did have a brief stint with RoR and like it , but at the same time
TG seems to work fine with business layer (which is primarily in Python);
and I havent tried Django. I havent seen any actual web app written in any
of these(Tg/Django) experiencing a huge load and still remain stable. But it
looks like Guido van Rossum prefers Django (
http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=158931 ).

# Am trying to build an app which will have millions of concurrent users and
is going to be highly distributed.
# It should scale really well and does not go astray when in use.
# I am comfortable with pragramming, but do not want to essentially take
care of low level programming(and hence i like Python's way).
# Cleaner integration with Ajax libs would be also required.
# Easy on the database (will be using a replicated/clustered MySQL), hence
an easy to use ORM

Any 'sincere' advice or hints would be great :)

PS : Should i consider Spring as a possible option too? :)
--
Venkat