[Ilugc] Re: Django, TG or Rails

Thejaswi Puthraya thejaswi.puthraya at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 13:25:56 IST 2008

>  Well, yes - am really confused! And have no intentions of starting a flame
>  war - any personal experiences or useful links would be of immense help.
>
>  This is my first foray into web-development using Open Source frameworks and
>  tools and am just not able to decide on the course of action that i need to
>  take. I did have a brief stint with RoR and like it , but at the same time
>  TG seems to work fine with business layer (which is primarily in Python);
>  and I havent tried Django. I havent seen any actual web app written in any
>  of these(Tg/Django) experiencing a huge load and still remain stable. But it
>  looks like Guido van Rossum prefers Django (
>  http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=158931 ).

Use the framework whose programming language you are comfortable with.
If you are comfortable with Ruby use Rails with Python use either of the two.
Knowing the programming language well can help utilize the full functionaility
of the framework. Don't just use any framework because some one prefers it. Use
the one that you are comfortable with.
Fedora uses TG for all their webapps.
Tabblo, Curse Gaming, Washington Post use Django and are very large apps.

>  # Am trying to build an app which will have millions of concurrent users and
>  is going to be highly distributed.
>  # It should scale really well and does not go astray when in use.
>  # I am comfortable with pragramming, but do not want to essentially take
>  care of low level programming(and hence i like Python's way).
>  # Cleaner integration with Ajax libs would be also required.
>  # Easy on the database (will be using a replicated/clustered MySQL), hence
>  an easy to use ORM

If you are planning to go for concurrent users and require transaction
support then
none of the three will fit your bill. And MySQL will not help your situation.
My 2 cents, if a framework bundles a JS Library along with it, I consider it a
deficiency because the user will not have the freedom of choice.

>  Any 'sincere' advice or hints would be great :)

>From my experience of having used Django, I have found it really good.
The documentation
is excellent, the community is helpful and the developers believe in
perfection and
conceptual integrity.

I can't comment on the rest two because I have not used them.

The choice is yours, make use of it judiciously and not on loose talk.

--
Cheers
Thejaswi Puthraya