[Ilugc] Bringing FLOSS to Everyday Academic Life

Kapil Hari Paranjape kapil at imsc.res.in
Mon Apr 28 08:42:46 IST 2008

Hello,

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
> On 27-Apr-08, at 1:28 PM, Kapil Hari Paranjape wrote:
>> Why do they need support from outside? Most academic places where
>> GNU/Linux is extensively deployed depend on the competence of their
>> own staff.
>
> ha ha - iitm has shifted to Microsoft solution for mailserver because
> they cannot find anyone to maintain a Linux Mailserver

This is truly sad!

It is partly based on mis-information. How does one find a person who
can maintain a "MicroSoft solution for mailserver" *properly* but
cannot maintain a "Linux Mailserver". It is like saying this mechanic
can only fix punctures on Fiats and not Ambassadors! (I use that
analogy since that is the amount of maintainence that a mail server
requires---some periodic puncture-fixing).

Of course, it may be true that *setting up* the mailserver under
Linux *used to* require more work than the click-clack-cluck under MS.
However, can one really trust one's mail to a person who cannot
read/understand/edit configuration files?!

Apparently most IIT students are also no longer interested in
"hacking" (as in tinkering with computers), they just want the latest
video game/mobile gadget and be cool! Ah, the good old days! (/me ducks) ;-)

Regards,

Kapil.