[Ilugc] Reading from a TTY

Kapil Hari Paranjape kapil at imsc.res.in
Tue Dec 2 19:37:30 IST 2008

Hello,

On Tue, 02 Dec 2008, Arun Chaganty wrote:
> 1) I've sshed into my computer, and I want to check out  what's
> happening on some terminal (say tty0), *not* running screen.

Note that all instructions assume that the user you ssh as has
read/write access to all the devices.

To interact with a Linux virtual console you can run "conspy".
So you can to something like
 ssh my_computer conspy
to see the currently active virtual console or
 ssh my_computer conspy 23
to the 23rd virtual console /dev/tty23 on.

Note that this only works if the virtual console is in text mode.

To get access to the X server which is running on the console
you need to run x11vnc on the machine.
 ssh my_computer DISPLAY=:0 x11vnc
You then invoke a vncviewer on your local machine.
 vncviewer my_computer:0

For "raw" I/O piped back and forth from a modem you could use
 socat readline /dev/ttyUSB0,raw,echo=0,crlf,nonblock

It may be possible to use socat for /dev/tty0 as well.

Regards,

Kapil.