[Ilugc] Employee Agreement of a FOSS company

ம. ஸ்ரீ ராமதாஸ்|Sri Ramadoss M amachu at ubuntu.com
Wed Dec 3 15:23:11 IST 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 1:07 PM, Vamsee Kanakala <vamlists at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's tough to convince otherwise when you're coming from that point of view.
> Why do you think investors only exploit? They spot an opportunity, and they
> put in money to exploit the opportunity, not the people. If some exploit
> people in that pursuit, you have to blame that particular individual, not
> investors in general. It's possible to do business ethically, you know :).

The first argument of mine is substantiated by the argument that
followed and your reply holds good if the agreement between the
employee and employer aren't the typical proprietary ones. It that
agreement is a typical proprietary one, that asks the employee to
surrender everything, then the system which encourages that need to be
blamed. If that's the system the investor chooses to follow? (May be I
can express better in Tamil, if this is unclear)

> At least in mine, all code that gets done for clients is closed, and the
> clients have full rights over it, and all code that gets contributed back to
> FOSS projects is open. And it's done on the company's dime. We just stick an
> MIT licence to it. Actually, there are plenty of startups that work this
> way.

Agreeable. But that's not what I asked for. I would like to now "Are
Employee - Employer agreement different in a FOSS company compared to
that of a Proprietary Company?, If so How? and on What aspects?"

--
Sri Ramadoss M