[Ilugc] Employee Agreement of a FOSS company

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at thenilgiris.com
Wed Dec 3 15:33:11 IST 2008

On Wednesday 03 Dec 2008 3:23:11 pm ம. ஸ்ரீ ராமதாஸ்|Sri Ramadoss M wrote:
> Agreeable. But that's not what I asked for. I would like to now "Are
> Employee - Employer agreement different in a FOSS company compared to
> that of a Proprietary Company?, If so How? and on What aspects?"

first define what is a 'FOSS company'? The term is unclear. A company that
opensources all the code it produces? Then neither the employer nor the
employee get anything out of the code in terms of IPR. But such a company
will not last for more than 5 minutes.

if by a 'FOSS' company you mean one that exclusively uses FOSS tools - as long
as it doesnt opensource the code it writes, it is no different from a
proprietary company.

Take, for example, the company that owns django. They also have a product
called ellington which runs on django. Programmers work both on django and
Ellington. All the django work goes to the community, the Ellington work is
owned by the company - so the company is a FOSS company in so far as it pays
for Django coding and a proprietary company otherwise.

I personally feel that your question can never be answered as there can never
be a FOSS company.

--
regards
KG