[Ilugc] Conrolling screen brightness globally.

Sujith m.sujith at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 20:34:56 IST 2008

Logu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed Fedora-10 on my hp pavillion laptop. I would like to
> know how to change (reduce the brightness) of the initial login screen
> (gdm). It goes to full brightness when boots to the login screen. I am
> able to use the keys function keys to reduce it. But I would like have
> it configured to a required brightness level and settings be retained
> after reboot.
>
> I am able to change the brightness after logging into the (gnome/KDE)
> session and save the setting. But I wanted to control it for the login
> screen and save it globally.
> I think xbacklight utility (xclient)  should help here, so I would
> also like know where to place the startup applications for gdm. Or is
> it possible to do that with X server (xorg.conf) itself.

I am not sure about gdm, but I use xdm, and adding 'xbacklight -set <val>' to
my login manager's Xsetup file did the trick.
I have a xdm theme, so the location is /etc/X11/xdm/archlinux/Xsetup.

You just have to find out your login manager's X init scripts location and add all
that you want to Xsetup.

Sujith
--
http://sujith-m.blogspot.com