[Ilugc] Employee Agreement of a FOSS company

Praveen A pravi.a at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 12:52:21 IST 2008

2008/12/3 Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at thenilgiris.com>:
> My personal business model for whatever business I do is to only accept jobs
> from customers who agree to open source the code. (of course, the agreement
> includes a clause that such part of the code that exposes their business
> secrets will be excluded from open sourcing and also the product open sourced
> will be a generalised version of what they are using). In such circumstances
> it is irrelevant to my employees/consultants as to who gets rights in the
> code. Normally, since the customer has paid for it, the copyright would be
> his - but since most of the code is anyway copy pasted from other FOSS code,
> there is very little share of the copyright for the customer. This works fine
> with the BSD license - I don't even want to think of the implications if the
> GPL is used.

It would not be much different under GPL, either. Except you are
forced to give the customer the complete source code. When you release
the code to everyone, you gets to decide what goes out. You can even
keep all of it for yourself - you are obliged to give the code only to
those who gets binaries from you.

- Praveen
--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍