[Ilugc] Employee Agreement of a FOSS company

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Dec 4 13:59:15 IST 2008

Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 Dec 2008 5:54:02 pm Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>>> can you confirm that all code produced by Red Hat is opensourced? If so,
>>> obviously neither the programmer or the company directly gets money out
>>> of it.
>> Let's assume that is true but it still disproves the notion that pure
>> open source entities are not sustainable. That was shattered by Cygnus
>> back in 1989.
>>
>> http://www.toad.com/gnu/cygnus/index.html
>
> good read - note I am *not* indulging in Red Hat bashing which is the
> favourite occupation a certain type of person. I am wondering about things
> like code that is used in-house - does it get open sourced automatically - if
> not, what is the implication wrt being a FOSS company?

Historically, custom infrastructure code has been considered different
from public products but if it solves one organization's problem it
probably is useful to others as well.  I know atleast a few projects
that has been written in-house by the infrastructure team and then made
available as a public project.

One recent example would be

https://fedorahosted.org/genome/

The implication of being a FOSS company is that, there is a culture of
doing exactly this. The default choice would be to make everything
public. There might be a few exceptions for various reasons but nothing
that significantly changes the sustainability of a business that
operates this way.

Rahul