[Ilugc] Employee Agreement of a FOSS company

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Dec 5 18:30:13 IST 2008

Steve wrote:

> b. I used the FSF request for copyright assignment only as an example of why ownership of copyright with the company or individual is purely a matter of preference and logic...
not one of right vs. wrong

If a organization has the copyright over the entire product, then it
isn't purely a matter of logic as that particular entity can distribute
a proprietary variant of the same code that I volunteered to write for
them under a open license. MySQL, OpenOffice.org, Qt etc follow this
business model. There are many people, who wouldn't agree to that out of
the principle of not aiding proprietary interests.

FSF does require you to assign copyright for some of the GNU projects
but it is bilateral agreement where they promise not to create
proprietary variants and FSF has a very strong culture of keeping up
that trust if anything.

Rahul