[Ilugc] Suggest a Wireless Internet Provider for Laptop

Shrinivasan T tshrinivasan at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 22:35:58 IST 2008

Hi,

>> tatindicom usb is reliable all over India - speeds are about 150.

Thanks.

> Mandriva recognises the modem as /dev/ttyACM0 - all you need to do is fire up
> kppp, accept all default settings, select /dev/ttyACM0 as the modem and put
> username=internet, password=internet and phone number=#777. Click connect and
> you are online.

I went to a Tata indicom shop.
I asked for a demo.
Tried with ubuntu and wvdial.
connected easily.

But the speed is very less.
It remembered those dial-up days.

It was very slow. Even cant get gmail.

I never worked on wireless.
Is it will be like this?

They said that we cant compare with broadband.

How about relience? or any other service provider?

How to check what bandwidth we get in wireless?

Thanks.
--
dear,
T.Shrinivasan