[Ilugc] Backup options?

Girish Venkatachalam girishvenkatachalam at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 17:16:09 IST 2008

Hi,

I come across a variety of backup tools:

	a) bacula
	b) amanda
	c) rsnapshot
	d) rdiff-backup
	e) duplicity
	f) backuppc

and so on.

I can understand rsnapshot and rdiff-backup, to a certain extent
duplicity as well as it seems to be related to rdiff-backup.

However I confess I am quite flustered by the sheer length of
documentation available with bacula and amanda.

If any of you help me out with the experience/knowledge you possess it
will be nice.

I am mostly interested in network backup and solutions based on RAIDed
disks instead of tapes or DVDs.

Yes, I am aware of commercial alternatives like Vembu's StoreGrid.

I certainly prefer open source solutions.

Thank you and have a nice day!

-Girish