[Ilugc] not comfortable with intrepid ibex
Kapil Hari Paranjape
kapil at imsc.res.in
Tue Dec 9 09:29:47 IST 2008
On Tue, 09 Dec 2008, Swapnil Bhartiya wrote:
> Same here, I have also moved on from Hardy to Intrepid -- clean install and
> its working perfect for me. On may desktop as well as laptop. Upgrade may
> have some issues, so I would suggest a clean install.
Since a number of people have suggested this, let me say that I
consider broken upgrades (from public release to next public release)
to be a bug. If all of you are truly finding such bugs then it is
your duty (;>) as FOSS enthusiasts to document and file these
Each release should clearly document the upgrade path and if
necessary, point out caveats and workarounds.
Re-installing (and re-booting) should be relagated to the same place as
"that other operating system".
[*] The steps should be roughly as follows.
0. Backup your current system.
1. Restore pre-upgrade machine from backup.
2. Open a pencil-and-paper notebook to write down what you do
and what happens.
3. Perform upgrade as explained in the release notes.
4. Find out all the things that are broken.
5. Go to the bts/launchpad/whatever and file an installation-report
documenting all the breakage.
6. Restore your current system.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 197 bytes
Desc: Digital signature
Url : http://www.ae.iitm.ac.in/pipermail/ilugc/attachments/20081209/8f6ccffc/attachment.bin
More information about the ilugc