[Ilugc] Employee Agreement of a FOSS company

sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 09:52:26 IST 2008

ம. ஸ்ரீ ராமதாஸ்|Sri Ramadoss M wrote:

> What would you say on talks and sessions organised by people around at
> various Conferences on "FOSS business models"? I was thinking those
> invited to talk at those sessions are such people who run business
> with FOSS. Shouldn't theirs be called a FOSS company? or is all of
> those a hype?

Diverging a bit from the thread, 'FOSS Business Model' is probably an
overloaded term. Interpretation range from discussions around doing
business with FOSS tools and services to doing business in a
collaborative fashion with artifacts of the business in the open (as
much as legally possible).

Running a business with FOSS does not make one a FOSS company
automagically. There are umpteen examples of such PSUs and private
enterprises in India who would not fit into a 'FOSS Company' tag.

Besides the socio-political bits (and hence the economic
interpretations) intrinsic to FOSS, a 'FOSS model' does base itself upon
 concepts like collaboration, adherence to open standards, communication
and so forth. Looking at FOSS companies primarily from the point of view
of employee agreements or NDA may be limiting the scope of comprehending
the actual model.

On a side note, take an example of a FOSS company developing a set of
tools and services for a deployment which has been tagged by the
appropriate authorities as 'secret' and hence nothing can be shared or,
re-used. Would that make such a deployment or, the developer or, the
consumer non FOSS ?