[Ilugc] Backup options?

Girish Venkatachalam girishvenkatachalam at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 13:13:31 IST 2008

On 06:36:47 Dec 09, rajasekhar kuppa wrote:
>  I am working  in the same field so i may be able to help you, if you put
> your question a little more clear.

No, not looking for help. Only discussion.

> 1 )  Whya re you looking at traditional backup tols like amanda? do you have
> any tape backups in mind?

I was told that amanda can be used even when no tapes are involved. I
have never seen a tape drive in my life. ;)

And don't plan to use that right now.

> 2) how large  are your backups ?

Now that you ask I should say that I want to backup every single file on
a daily basis for years. Also databases...

There are many servers on the network where these files live.

> 3) what is the purpose of your backup? restoration? DR? offsite?

Network backup of all servers.

> 4) Time frame of your backups?

What do you mean?

> 5) backup methodology? incremental? differential? or a point in time copy?

I want incremental backups, so I can go back in time.

I don't know what is meant by a differential backup.

Is that based on diff(1)?

Anyway I may not be able to respond as I am going out of town for a
while.

Have fun!

-Girish