[Ilugc] Unable to mount folders exported by NFS Server

Pankaj Kumar pankaj at glug4muz.org
Tue Dec 9 22:51:22 IST 2008

Hi,
 I am having three linux system in my LAN with details as follows:

1. Open SUSE 10.2 with Static IP Address 192.168.0.2 and treating as Server.
2. Fedora Core 6 with Static IP Address 192.168.0.3 and treating as Client1.
3. Zenwalk Linux 5.2 with Static IP Address 192.168.0.4 and treating as
Client2.

Now I want to export one fixed folder to Client1 and another fixed folder to
Client2 from Server
so that I can work on Server from Client Systems using the concept of NFS. For
this purpose I made
following entry in the /etc/exports file:

# See the exports(5) manpage for a description of the syntax of this file.
# This file contains a list of all directories that are to be exported to
# other computers via NFS (Network File System).
# This file used by rpc.nfsd and rpc.mountd. See their manpages for details
# on how make changes in this file effective.
/home/rashid    192.168.0.4(rw)
/home/ccpplinux/public_html    192.168.0.3(rw)

Then I started nfs server on the Server system with the following command:

linux-server:/etc # /etc/rc.d/nfsserver restart
Shutting down kernel based NFS server                                 done
Starting kernel based NFS serverexportfs: /etc/exports [1]: Neither
'subtree_check' or 'no_subtree_check' specified for export
"192.168.0.4:/home/rashid".
  Assuming default behaviour ('subtree_check').
  NOTE: this default will change with nfs-utils version 1.1.0
exportfs: /etc/exports [2]: Neither 'subtree_check' or 'no_subtree_check'
specified for export "192.168.0.3:/home/ccpplinux/public_html".
  Assuming default behaviour ('subtree_check').
  NOTE: this default will change with nfs-utils version 1.1.0
                                                                      done
linux-server:/etc #

Then from the Client2 system I tried to mount the folder exported from the
Server as follows:

root[~]# mount 192.168.0.2:/home/rashid/ /root/server/
mount.nfs: internal error
root[~]#

But as you can see I am getting the message of internal error.

Similarly from the Client1 system I tried to mount the folder exported from
the Server:

[root at FedoraClient ~]# mount -t nfs 192.168.0.2:/home/ccpplinux/ /root/server/
mount: 192.168.0.2:/home/ccpplinux/ failed, reason given by server: Permission
denied
[root at FedoraClient ~]#

As you can see I am getting message of Permission denied.

So I am unable to make use of NFS in my LAN. Can you please help me so that I
can start using the
facility of NFS on my Linux Systems?

I will remain thankful to you all for this forever.

--
Best Regards ...
Pankaj Kumar